THE BONE WAY | Holly J. Underhill

I’m sorry – a sapphic retelling of Orpheus and Eurydice? Do you mean… everything I’ve ever dreamed of?

The Bone Way is an absolutely gorgeous little book (and I mean little – it’s a novella which clocks in at about an hour of reading time). It’s written so dreamily and whimsically that I really felt like I was being told a myth or folk tale which had been around since time immemorial, which is such a glorious stylistic choice for this story.

The Bone Way tells the story of Teagan and Cressidae, who are married (every time I read the words “her wife” a little part of my heart glowed, I swear). Cressidae has gone into the Shadow Realm to make a deal with the Shadow Princess, to save Teagan’s life. Teagan follows her on her dangerous journey.

I loved reading this book, I really did. It was sweet and dangerous and exciting and enchanting. My only gripe is that I genuinely think the story would have benefitted from being a full-size novel. I know novellas are their own thing, I do, but when telling a fantasy story as rich as this, having the breathing room to do extended world-building and character development can do wonders to fully immerse the reader.

Don’t get me wrong – I was immersed! I couldn’t put it down. But I think some of the concepts and plotlines Holly Underhill introduced could have really shone were they given the time and space. I loved the way she fleshed out the characters in flashbacks – about 95% of the story is spent in the Shadow Realm, so there’s really no other way to understand Teagan and Cressidae’s relationship, or the Shadow Princess’ whole deal, other than through flashback chapters and tale-telling. I enjoyed these sections a lot and thought they added much to the story without detracting from the main storyline in any way. But, truly, the Shadow Princess’ story alone could be a whole book (maybe a prequel?). Teagan and Cressidae’s relationship could have benefitted from more attention (apart from the flashbacks, they’re angry at each other for most of the book). Maybe I’m just being greedy, but I just wanted more. More world-building, more character development, more romance, more danger.

Despite that, though, I loved this book. It's quick and delightful and I was rooting for Teagan and Cressidae the entire time, and was sad for them, and anxious for them, and happy for them, and just generally too emotionally invested, which to me is always a good sign. I love Teagan and Cressidae’s devotion to one another, even to their own detriment. I love Underhill’s fresh take on this classic myth. And, of course, I love that it’s a sapphic retelling. Holly J. Underhill, if you’re reading this: please write sapphic retellings of all the myths. I would give my soul to the Shadow Princess for them, for real.

Thank you to Nyx Publishing and to NetGalley for providing me with this ARC.